Going for a brisk walk for half an hour a day is not only a great way to keep fit and boost your overall well-being; keeping up the habit could halve your risk of heart disease.
But how do you know whether you are making the most of those precious 30 minutes?
We have some handy tips to ‘Turbo Charge’ your daily walk, whether you walk alone, with family or with a friend.
1. Build in some hills or stairs. Start off with gentler slopes before tackling the steep ones. Build up very gradually if you have little ones in tow.
2. Zig Zag your way up the steep slopes. It will add in extra steps whilst easing the strain until you’re ready to charge straight up!
3. Try to keep a steady pace. It is tempting to slow down when going up-hill and speed up when going down, but keeping your pace constant will make your muscles work harder and get your heart pumping.
How do you know if you’re going at the right pace? A good indication of the right pace is that you are walking fast enough to make you puff a little but can still hold a conversation at the same time.
4. Go walking with the family or a friend! You can keep fit and have a chat! It’s a great way to spend valuable time together as well as motivating us to keep the habit up.
5. Head off the beaten track. Try going bushwalking, or walking along the beach or coast. Walking on uneven ground burns more kilojoules. It’s also an affordable family day out, and a great excuse to enjoy the beautiful scenery we have in Australia!
All the best in Health and Fitness
PS – you can join in anytime by leaving a comment below indicating your interest and fill out the “Notify Me of New Posts by Email” box so that you’ll be up to date with all my posts.